Overhead power lines to us, humans, are a symbol of necessary infrastructure. But for the globally threatened Great Bustard, collisions with power lines can be fatal.
We have launched the "Nature without Borders" competition for schoolchildren!
11 November 2019
Milvus Group is inviting teachers to take part with their teams in the most challenging contest about the mysterious bustard and the natural values around us!
UPDATE: By the deadline, 552 pupils have enrolled in the contest, therefore 184 teams guided by 65 teachers. We received applications from: Salonta (the most numerous), Oradea, Livada de Bihor, Cefa, and Sântandrei. We are very pleased with the high number of participants, and also with the fact that we received entries from the smaller towns of the area, as well. We would like to thank all the school-teachers who got involved, and enrolled their teams in the contest. Good luck to all the pupils! We are looking forward to receiving the result sheets of the first round! 😊
Can you spot and identify a Great Bustard? What about a European Ground Squirrel? What does the word habitat mean to you?
Such questions will be asked in the Nature without Borders inter-school competition wherewith we want to get children closer to the fascinating natural world. The competition is addressed in particular to the pupils who live in or nearby the provinces that are part of Natura 2000 protected areas.
Our purpose is to familiarize the children with these local natural values and to instil the importance of cherishing nature into them.
Competition timetable (3 rounds organised in the 2019-2020 school year):
- Round 1: the 16 December 2019;
- Round 2: the 28 February 2020;
- Round 3: (the final and awards ceremony) May 2020.
- ► Each teams should consist of three pupils.
- ► Two age groups: III-IV grade, V-VIII grade / Two separate language sections: Romanian and Hungarian.
- ► A school may enrol more teams for both age groups, and language sections, too.
- ► For a team to be qualified for the final, the first two stages are mandatory. Result sheets of the tests will be sent in digital format.
- ► The best 6 teams/age group/teaching departments will be qualified for the final.
More details about the competition, and application can be found here (available only in Romanian).
The application form (available only in Romanian) must be submitted by 15 November 2019 (latest).
Text and photo: Milvus Group
The photo was taken during the seminars for teachers on the Great Bustard.